Here are the top 10 greatest wingers in La Liga history
Wingers play a huge role in supporting the attacking side through crossing and scoring. However, their main role is to play along the touchline, dribble past defenders and bring in curling crosses to help the striker score goals.
Wingers give the team a backup in case the striker was held down. They need to play their role just like a mid-fielder and this is going back to defend if the opponent team makes an attack.
So here are those top 10 greatest wingers in football history.
Greatest Wingers In La Liga
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Ronaldo started his career as a dribbling midfielder who was not interested in scoring goals. The rest is history!
- Lionel Messi – Messi is more of a mid-fielder but he started his career as a right-winger.
- Garrincha – Garrincha was widely regarded as one of the greatest dribblers of all time. A legend of the beautiful game – thanks to his amazing exploits on the pitch.
- George Best – Best was a highly-skilled winger, considered by many to be one of the greatest dribblers in football history. Best known for his playing style, which combined speed, balance, skill, and feints.
- Roberto Rivelino – Rivelino was renowned for his bending free kicks, accurate long passing, close ball control, long-range shooting, and dribbling skills. He was the one that perfected a football move, known as “flip-flap”.
- David Beckham – Beckham reached the top of the game while playing for Manchester United before sealing a mega-move to Real Madrid.
- Francisco Gento – A left wing specialist, Gento began his football career at Racing Santander in 1952 and moved to Real Madrid in 1953. He was well-renowned for his amazing skills on the ball.
- Sir Stanley Matthews – Nicknamed “The Wizard of Dribble” and “The Magician”, Matthews is the only player to be knighted while still playing football. He was the oldest player ever to play in England’s first division.
- Robert Pires – Joining Arsenal in 2000, Pires went on to become a club legend. His contribution to the record-breaking invincible season of 2003-04 is immense.
- Luis Figo – Luis Figo was best known for his creativity and ability to get past defenders as a winger. He is regarded as one of the greatest players of his generation.