Here are the top 10 most successful Olympic Athletes In History
Winning even a single gold medal in Olympic is an achievement of another level. It gives you the feeling of nationalism, the proud feeling for yourself and your country.
This article will tell you about the top 10 most successful Olympic athletes in history. Can you guess who won more gold medals between Carl Lewis and Birgit Fischer?
Most Successful Olympic Athletes
- Michael Phelps (Swimming) – 28 medals
- Larisa Latynina (Gymnastics) – 18 medals
- Marit Bjorgen (Cross-Country Skiing) – 15 medals
- Ole Einar Bjørndalen (Biathlon) – 13 medals
- Paavo Nurmi (Athletics) – 12 medals
- Bjørn Dæhlie (Cross-Country Skiing) – 12 medals
- Birgit Fischer (Canoeing) – 12 medals
- Sawao Kato (Gymnastics) – 12 medals
- Mark Spitz (Swimming) – 11 medals
- Carl Lewis (Athletics) – 10 medals
Michael Phelps is arguably the greatest swimmer of all time. He is the most successful Olympic athlete in history, having 28 medals till date. He has won 23 gold medals, 3 silvers and 2 bronze medals.
Also Read: Top 10 Fastest Swimmers In Olympic History
Carl Lewis won 9 gold medals in his career, one more than Germany’s Birgit Fischer. It is mind-blowing to see that if you double the gold medal figures of other athletes, Phelps has still won more than all of them.