T20 World Cup 2022 will always be remembered for the upsets. We never saw any world cup with that much competitiveness. Many small teams and associate nations gave heartbreaks to big teams. It is a wonderful team from cricket’s perspective. So, in this article, we will see all the upsets of the T20 world cup 2022.
- Tournament started with a qualifiers match between, Sri Lanka and Namibia. Sri Lankan won the Asia Cup and they were looking for a promising side but Namibia gave them a huge 55 runs defeat which was a huge upset.
- On the second day of the tournament, it was West Indies two-time champions facing Scotland on 17th October. Scotland won the match by 42 runs which was a shock for everyone.
- It was a decider for both West Indies and Ireland in the qualifiers. West Indies batted first and they put a very low score on the board in return Ireland who is already looking at a very dangerous side chased it down with ease and secured 9 wickets win over the two-time champions.
- Pakistan was playing against Zimbabwe in the second group stage match. Pakistan lost to India in the first match and it was an important match for them. Zimbabwe batted first and gave a low target and in return Zimbabwe bowlers restrict Pakistan and won the match by 1 run. It was a thriller in Perth.
- The Fifth one came on the very next day when England was playing against Ireland. England who lifted the title lost to Ireland in their group-stage match. Ireland surprised England in a rain-affected match where they won the match by DLS.
- Last and probably the biggest upset of the world cup came on the last day of the super 12 matches. The Netherlands was playing against South Africa which was the table toppers at that time. South Lost that match where they fell short 13 runs and faced a humiliating defeat against men in orange. The Netherlands’ win completely changed the scenario and South Africa failed to qualify for the knockouts.