Two of the most famous captains in IPL, MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli will play as normal players in IPL 2022. MS Dhoni gave the captaincy of Chennai Super Kings to Ravindra Jadeja before IPL 2022 and Virat Kohli who had announced his decision of leaving captaincy last year made RCB management appoint Faf du Plessis as their new captain.
Fans will miss this duo as captain and especially at the toss when we used to see them interacting and laughing with each other. To give a kind of tribute to both of them we will draw a comparison between their captaincy in IPL.
- Matches as captain – in IPL MS Dhoni has played 204 matches as captain of Chennai Super Kings and Virat Kohli has played 140 matches as captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- Matches won as captain – MS Dhoni is one of the most successful IPL captains and he won 121 matches in IPL as captain. Virat Kohli was not that successful but still, he won 64 matches as captain.
- Matches lost as captain – MS Dhoni has lost 82 matches in IPL as captain and Virat Kohli has lost 69 matches as captain in IPL.
- Win percentage – MS Dhoni is ahead of Virat Kohli in terms of win percentage. Dhoni has a 59.60-win percentage and Virat has a 48.16-win percentage.
- Trophies won – as mentioned above Dhoni is the second most successful captain in the history of IPL and when it comes to consistency in playoffs some may consider him the best. Dhoni has won 4 IPL trophies in 2010, 2011, 2018, and 2021 with Chennai Super Kings. Virat will consider himself unlucky in terms of trophies as he never won the IPL trophy in his career so far.
- Captaincy tenure – MS Dhoni was a captain in all the IPL seasons. He was a captain in all 14 seasons. 13 seasons with Chennai Super Kings and 1 season with Rising Pune Supergiants. Virat Kohli was also captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore for 9 seasons.
- Playoffs qualified – as I said earlier that Dhoni is the best captain in IPL and it reflects through his stats. Dhoni took his team to playoffs 11 times and Virat on the other hand took Bangalore to the playoffs 4 times in his captaincy.
- Runs as captain – when it comes to runs, Virat Kohli is ahead of MS Dhoni. Virat has played fewer seasons as captain than Dhoni but still, he has scored more runs than Dhoni. Virat has scored 4881 runs as captain and Dhoni on the other hand has scored 4456 runs as captain.
Also Read: Major IPL records of MS Dhoni as captain