Sports Desk- Australia’s aggressive batsman David Warner made a comeback in 2018 after facing a one-year ban due to ball-tampering. But David Warner has hinted at retiring from T20 International’s cricket. Warner says he is likely to quit T20 cricket in the next “few years” to prolong his Test and ODI career and spend more time with his family.
The 33-year-old won Cricket Australia’s Allan Border medal for being the player of the year on Monday. He was also named the T20 player of the year.
“I think you look at T20 internationals, we’ve got back-to-back World Cups as well,” Warner was quoted as saying by the ‘AAP’.
“That’s probably a format that could be one I drop in a few years. It’s going to be very difficult to play all three forms – and good luck to all the guys that want to keep playing – it’s challenging,” he explained.
The two T20 World Cups are to be held in Australia (this year) and India (next year).
Warner said former India opener Virender Sehwag is among the retired lot that he has spoken with, to understand the fatigue of playing all three formats.
“I speak to guys like AB de Villiers, Virender Sehwag, guys who have done that for a long time, it does become challenging.
Having three young kids and my wife at home all the time, the constant traveling becomes very difficult,” he said. Warner has three daughters with wife Candice Falzon.
Warner has scored 2079 runs in 76 T20 Internationals so far. In this, he has scored 15 half-centuries and 1 century. Warner decided to stay out of Australia’s T20 League Big Bash to focus on his international career.