Spin wizard, one of the greats and one of the best spinners in cricket’s history
Shane Warne of Australia is no more between us.
He died at 52 on 4th March due to a heart attack and it was a total shock for the cricketing world as he went too soon.
Shane Warne was a legend of the game and to give him a tribute we will see some of his career stats and we will also see what made Warne one of the best in the world.
Career and Stats
- Shane Warne was born on 13 September 1969 at Ferntree Gully,
Victoria in Australia. He made his test debut against India in 1992
at Sydney cricket ground and his ODI debut was against New
Zealand in 1993. Warne was a right-arm leg spinner. He was a
- Warne has played 145 test matches in his career in which he took 708 wickets with an economy of 2.65. Warne has 37 five-wicket hauls in his career and he was also the second-highest wicket-taker in test cricket’s history.
- He had played 194 ODI matches and took 293 wickets in his ODI career. Warne was a part of that mighty Australian team who dominated every format in their time.
- Warne loves to bowl against South Africa and England the most. He has 325 test wickets against these two teams only.
- Australian conditions are not in favor of the spinners and being a wrist spinner is the toughest job on Australian soil but legendary player Shane Warne proved everyone wrong and he dominated in Australia like no other.
- Many great batsmen like Lara, Tendulkar considered him as one of the most difficult ones to face. And it was a treat to watch them play against each other.
- Warne has also played in the IPL and he was with Rajasthan Royals and he was the main reason for Rajasthan’s victory in the very first season of the IPL. He made his IPL debut against Delhi Capitals in 2008. Warne has 57 wickets in 55 IPL matches he played.
- Warne played his last test match in 2007 against England at Sydney and his last ODI match was against Asia 11 in 2005 at Melbourne cricket ground.
- His career was full of controversies and related things. He was a very strong personality and he was never ashamed to say bold things.
- Shane Warne got married to Simone Callahan, and the couple had three children. The however divorced in 2005. His net worth was around $50 million.