These are the 10 greatest defensive midfielders in Premier League history
Premier League have some great defensive midfielders in its history. However, some of them were absolute class and some didn’t get the attention they deserve.
This article will tell you about the 10 greatest defensive midfielders in Premier League history. Please note that it’s not a ‘top 10′ list’.
Greatest Defensive Midfielders
- Patrick Vieira – Vieira was a typical defensive midfielder, tall and strong and good in the air. He could make mean tackles and organize the defense pretty comfortably.
- Roy Keane – Keane was a highly energetic, fast and aggressive player. He reveled in taking down attackers but at the same time he had the quality to carry the ball forward.
- N’Golo Kante – Kante is somewhat technically gifted and can blend his technique with the speed and deliver devastating counter attacks from time to time.
- Fernandinho – Fernandinho has been one of the pillars of Pep Guardiola’s success. Man City always struggle to keep their defensive shape whenever he is absent.
- Gilberto Silva – Gilberto’s great tactical intelligence allowed him to read the opposition’s play with ease. He used to disrupt their attack and distributing the ball to more creative players.
- Michael Essien – Essien was a machine of a player at his peak. It it was his intelligence and tactical awareness that gave him the edge over other physically strong defensive midfielders of his era.
- Xabi Alonso – Xabi Alonso was an expert in long-range passing ability, long distance shots, vision, tackling and composure on the ball.
- Claude Makelele – Makelele’s stamina, work-rate and speed made up for his small stature at a time when most destroyers were considerably stronger or taller than him.
- Michael Carrick – Carrick was a holding midfielder who could also play as a box-to-box midfielder due to his considerable amount of talent and creativity.