Here is the short biography of word’s one of the manager and former mid-fielder – Pep Guardiola
Pep Guardiola (Josep “Pep” Guardiola Sala) is a Spanish football manager and a former mid-fielder born on 18th January, 1971 in Santpedor, Spain. His father’s name is Valentí Guardiola and mother is Dolors Sala. He has a younger brother, Pere Guardiola. He has three children, Maria Guardiola, Marius Guardiola and Valentina Guardiola.
Before joining the youth academy of Barcelona, he was a football addict and played whenever he got a chance. He used to work as a ball-boy in the local matches
When Pep was 13, the youth academy of Barcelona introduced him into their squad. He started his professional football career as a defender.
In 1990, when Pep was 19 years of age, the head coach of the youth team, Johan Cruyff, grew fond of Pep and included him in the first team.
- The 1991–1992 season was Pep’s first official season with Barcelona.
- In an article of magazine ‘Guerin Sportivo’, Pep was described as the best footballer below the age of 21.
- He made his senior national team debut in a World Cup qualifier in October 1992.
- Pep was made the captain of Barca squad in 1997.
- FC Barcelona signed a new contract with Pep, which extended his stay in the team until 2001.
- In April 2001, Pep made a public announcement about his decision to quit Barca.
- He joined the Serie A team “Brescia” in 2001 and was later transferred to Roma.
- Pep at one time suffered from allegations of poor form and consumption of banned drugs.
- In 2006, he announced his retirement from professional football.
- He went to Mexico to train to be a manager.
- In June 2007, the coach selected him for the Barcelona B team.
- Pep was made the coach of the first team in the 2008–2009 season.
- Under his guidance, Barca went on a 20-match winning streak and maintained the top spot in the La Liga tally.
- Barca became the first Spanish club in the history of the game to win the treble (UCL, La Liga, Copa del Rey) under Pep’s coaching.
- In 2009, Pep helped Barca win the FIFA Club World Championships for the first time in the history of the club.
- By February 2010, Pep had crossed the 100-match mark as a coach.
- In 2009, Pep’s Barca won a record 9 titles.
- Pep’s sensational win–loss ratio of 71:10 earned him the repute of being the best football coach in the world.
- In 2013, he joined Bayern Munich as their new manager.
- In December 2013, he led Bayern to a Club World Cup victory.
- He joined Manchester City as their head coach in 2016-17 season and the rest is history.
Pep met Cristina Serra when Pep was 18 years old and had a long-term relationship with her. In 2014, their wedding was a private ceremony in Catalonia and only close friends and family attended their wedding. The couple has a son and two daughters, Maria, Màrius (son), and Valentina. Pep has been an atheist all his life.