These are some of the greatest French players of all time
France, the current World Cup holders is one of the best team in the world. The France national football team is at 2nd spot on FIFA world rankings.
We are here to talk about some of the greatest French players of all time. I think you have already guessed who’s on first position.
Top 10 greatest French players of all time:
- Zinedine Zidane – Zidane shot to fame after moving to Juventus in 1996. He was the key protagonist as France lifted the World Cup in 1998. He helped Juventus to win Serie A.
- Michel Platini – He won three Ballon d’Or titles in the 1980s, more than the rest of his countrymen combined. He was a prolific scorer with club and country.
- Thierry Henry – Henry is France’s all-time top scorer with 51 goals. He had already pocketed the World Cup and European Championship titles with France.
- Lilian Thuram – Thuram is regarded as one of the best defenders of his generation. He settled in Serie A and played five years each for both Parma and Juventus.
- Marcel Desailly – Desaily twice won the Champions League, once with Marseille and once with Milan, with whom he also won two Serie A titles. He was twice a member of the European Championship team of the Tournament, in 1996 and 2000.
- Didier Deschamps – Deschamps helped them to three successive Champions League finals, winning the 1995-96 edition. He was a member of the great side that won the World Cup of 1998.
- Raymond Kopa – Kopa was regarded as one of the most entertaining players of his generation. After a three-year stint in Spain, where he won three European Cups, he returned to his previous club.
- Jean-Pierre Papin – Papin was the game’s premier striker in the early part of the 1990s. He is one of four Frenchmen ever to win the Ballon d’Or.
- Eric Cantona – Cantona’s incredible feats have led him to be named by many critics as the finest Premier League player of all time. But he was overshadowed by his attitude, which saw him cut short his France career and then retire aged just 30.
- Just Fontaine – Just Fontaine is the only the player to score more goals (13) than any other at a single World Cup tournament. He finished his career having scored nearly a goal per game over the course of 12 years.