Here are the top 10 greatest midfielders in Serie A history
We have witnessed many great midfielders in Serie A but some of them remained unrecognizable. Some of them were absolute class and some didn’t get the attention they deserve.
This article will tell you about the 10 greatest defensive midfielders in Serie A history. Can you guess where Andrea Pirlo has been placed on this list?
Greatest Midfielders In Serie A
- Zinedine Zidane – Zidane won two Serie A titles and the Player of the Year award with Juventus. He was a ‘magician with the ball’ in the midfield.
- Gianni Rivera – Rivera could have won the Ballon d’Or at just the age of 19, but a miracle took away his deserving award.
- Francesco Totti – Totti’s only major trophy with Roma was the 2001 season Scudetto. He is one of the most loyal player in club history.
- Roberto Baggio – Baggio was awarded with the European Footballer of the Year in 1993 and also won the Ballon d’Or. He was nicknamed “The Little Buddha” in Italy because of his Buddhist beliefs.
- Andrea Pirlo – Pirlo was a deep-lying playmaker and an extraordinary midfielder. He also helped Milan to win the UEFA Champions League.
- Valentino Mazzola – Mazzola had a unique combination of offensive and defensive abilities. He is one of the greatest players in Torino FC’s history.
- Michel Platini – Although Platini’s Serie A career was short, he was a master in goal-scoring and playmaking abilities. He won a European final with Juventus in 1985.
- Frank Rijkaard – Rijkaard was a player with a good sense of humor. He used to give a great help to the team’s attack through his amazing passing skills.
- Roberto Donadoni – Rossoneri helped Milan win five Serie A titles, three European Championships, three European Super Cups, and two international titles.
- Demetrio Albertini – Albertini led Milan to two Scudetto between 1993 and 1995. He also helped them to reach three consecutive finals in the Champions League.