This article will tell you about the relationship between Sunil Chhetri and his wife
Sunil Chhetri is widely regarded as one of the best footballers to have ever played for India. He is the captain of the Indian national football team and plays for Bengaluru FC in the Indian Super League.
While Sunil Chhetri’s personal life has been largely kept private, it is known that he is married to Sonam Bhattacharya.
Sonam is an Indian native from Kolkata and is the daughter of a Bengali father and a Nepali mother. She was born and raised in Kolkata and completed her schooling from La Martiniere Calcutta.
Sonam Bhattacharya is a graduate of the J.D. Birla Institute and has a degree in finance. She has also completed her MBA in international business from the Regent’s University in London. After completing her studies, Sonam started working in the finance industry in London.
Sonam and Sunil met each other when Sunil was playing for Mohun Bagan and Sonam was working in Kolkata. They got married in December 2017 in a private ceremony in Kolkata. The wedding was attended by close friends and family members of the couple.
Sonam Bhattacharya is known to be a private person and does not frequently appear in the media. She has been supportive of her husband’s footballing career and has often been seen cheering for him during his matches.
Apart from her support for Sunil’s football career, Sonam is also known for her philanthropic work. She has been associated with the Pratham UK organization, which is focused on providing education to underprivileged children in India.
Sunil Chhetri’s Records For India
Sunil Chhetri’s record for India is impressive and has earned him many accolades and awards throughout his career.
Chhetri made his debut for the Indian national team in 2005 and scored his first international goal in 2006. Since then, he has been a key player for the team and has led them on several occasions as the team captain.
Chhetri has played in numerous international tournaments and has been instrumental in several victories for the team.
Some of Sunil Chhetri’s notable achievements for the Indian national football team are:
- Sunil Chhetri is the most capped player for the Indian national football team, having made over 120 appearances.
- Chhetri is also the highest goal scorer for India, having scored more than 80 goals in his international career.
- He has won the SAFF Championship, the premier football tournament of the South Asian region, 7 times with India, in 2005, 2009, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2021.
- Chhetri played a crucial role in India’s victory in the 2008 AFC Challenge Cup, which helped the team qualify for the 2011 AFC Asian Cup. He was the top scorer of the tournament and was named the Most Valuable Player.
- In the 2011 AFC Asian Cup, Chhetri scored two goals for India, including a crucial goal against South Korea, which helped India secure a draw in the match.
- In 2018, Chhetri scored two hat-tricks in international matches, one against Chinese Taipei and the other against Kenya, which helped him equal Lionel Messi’s record of scoring most international goals in a calendar year (8 goals).
- In June 2019, Chhetri played his 100th international match for India in the Intercontinental Cup against Tajikistan.