Here are the 10 greatest Indian wrestlers of all time
Wrestling is one of the most popular sports in India. We have witnessed many great wrestlers who made India proud at different events.
This article will tell you about the 10 greatest Indian wrestlers of all time. Can you guess who was the first Indian athlete to win an Olympic medal?
Greatest Indian Wrestlers
- Sushil Kumar – Sushil Kumar won consecutive Olympic medals for India that includes a bronze at 2008 Beijing Olympics and a silver at 2012 London Olympics to become one of the greatest Indian wrestlers.
- Sakshi Malik – Sakshi won the bronze at the 2016 Rio Olympics and became the first Indian female wrestler to win an Olympic medal. She has also received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2016 and Padma Shri in 2017.
- Yogeshwar Dutt – Yogeshwar won a bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics. He was awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and the Padma Shri.
- Bajrang Punia – Bajrang Punia is the only Indian wrestler to win three medals at the World Wrestling Championships. He was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2015, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2019 and Padma Shri in 2019.
- Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav – K.D. Jadhav was the first Indian athlete to win an Olympic medal (bronze) at 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki.
- Vinesh Phogat – Vinesh Phogat is the cousin sister of Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari. She became the first female Indian wrestler to win a gold medal at both the Commonwealth and Asian Games.
- Deepak Punia – Deepak Punia secured a berth in the 86kg category for India at the Tokyo Olympics. He also won a silver medal at the 2019 World Championships and a medal at the Asian Championships.
- Uday Chand – Udey became the first Indian athlete to win an individual World Championship medal. He was the first wrestler to be awarded the Arjun award in 1961 for wrestling.
- Bishambar Singh – Bishambar Singh was the first and only Indian to win the silver medal at the World Wrestling Championship in 1967. He was awarded the Arjuna award for his performance during the Tokyo Olympics of 1964.
- Jatindra Charan Goho – J.C. Goho the first Asian to win the World Light Heavyweight Championship in the United States in 1921.
Also Read: Top 10 Richest WWE Wrestlers Right Now