The most valuable player award is an award given to the highest performer for a franchise in IPL. The award doesn’t need to be given to the player of the winning team. The highest performer for a team within all the teams becomes the winner of this award. This award works on a points system. In this article, we will see all the most valuable player award winners in IPL.
Most valuable player award winners in IPL
- In 2008 award was given to Australian all-rounder, Shane Watson for his performance for Rajasthan Royals who also won the first season of IPL in 2008.
- In 2009 award was given to another Australian, Adam Gilchrist who was a famous wicket-keeper batsman of his time. Gilchrist played for Deccan Chargers in 2009. Deccan Chargers were the winner of the 2009 IPL.
- In 2010 it was for the first time when an Indian player won the award and it was none other than Sachin Tendulkar. Sachin played for Mumbai Indians in 2010.
- In 2011 it was an explosive opening batsman from Jamaica, Chris Gayle who won the award for Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2011.
- In 2012 it was another West Indian who won the award and this time it was legendary spinner Sunil Narine who received the award. Sunil played for Kolkata Knight Riders in 2012 who also won IPL that season.
- In 2013 it was for the second time when Shane Watson won the award for Rajasthan Royals.
- In 2014, Glenn Maxwell of Australia won the award for Punjab Kings (Kings eleven Punjab that time). Punjab was runner ups in the 2014 season.
- In 2015 it was again when an all-rounder won the award and this time it was Andre Russell for Kolkata Knight Riders.
- In 2016 it was only for the second time when an Indian won this award and this time it was Virat Kohli who was also the captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore at that time. RCB were the runner-ups in the 2016 season.
- In 2017 it was English all-rounder Ben Stokes who won the award for Rising Pune Supergiants.
- In 2018 it was for the second time when West Indian spinner Sunil Narine won this award for Kolkata Knight Riders.
- In 2019 winner was again from Kolkata’s camp and it was again West Indian all-rounder Andre Russell who won the award for the second time.
- In 2020, Jofra Archer who is an English fast bowler won the award for Rajasthan Royals.
- In 2021 it was only for the third time when an Indian won the award. This time it was RCB’s fast bowler Harshal Patel who was also the leading wicket-taker in 2021 IPL.