Test cricket is considered the greatest and most prestigious format of cricket as it is a challenging format that tests the skill and abilities of teams and players. To win a test match away from home is always a difficult task but India won the test series in almost every cricketing nation. In this article, we will see Indian captains who won the first-ever teat series in all countries.
Indian Test Captains
- Our first test series win on overseas soil came in New Zealand in the year 1968 under the captaincy of Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi who led team India in 4 match test series in New Zealand and won by 3-1.
- England was always a great country to capture as the origin of the game came from England. India won their first test series in England in 1971 by 1-0 in 3 match test series under the captaincy of Ajit Wadekar.
- In the same year of 1971 India achieved one more test series win and that too in West Indies was considered the greatest of that time and almost impossible to defeat but Ajit Wadekar led the company to win the 5 match test series by 1-0.
- Sri Lanka was also considered as one of the most difficult countries to play against but in 1993 Mohammad Azharuddin won the first-ever test series in Sri Lanka as a captain by 1-0 in 3 match test series.
- After Azharuddin it was Sourav Ganguly who was given charge of the Indian team and Ganguly being a great captain started his journey by winning the first-ever test series in Bangladesh in the year 2000 by 1-0 in 1 match test series.
- The Year 2004 was a special one as India won their first-ever Test series on Pakistan soil by 2-1 in 3 match test series. India was led by Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid at that time. Defeating Pakistan is always a special moment for India and in 2004 they did it in Pakistan’s home.
- Zimbabwe was considered as a decent cricket laying nation in the 2000s and 2005 Sourav Ganguly led team India won their first-ever test series in Zimbabwe by 2-0 in 2 match test series.
- Australia was left to achieve and Virat Kohli led team India in 2018-19 Australia tour did the job as they won the first-ever test series on Australian soil by 2-1 in 4 matches test series. India became the first Asian country to won a test series in Australia.
Also Read: Top 10 most capped players in Test Cricket