Rohit Sharma has not always played as an opener in tests. In fact, he played in the lower middle order for the majority of his early test career. Rohit has done a tremendous job for Team India while playing as an opener in tests. In this article, we will draw a statistical comparison of Rohit Sharma as an opener and as a non-opener.
Rohit Sharma In Tests
- Matches – Rohit Sharma has played most of his test matches as a non-opener. He played 25 as a non-opener and 24 as an opener.
- Innings – it is quite surprising as Rohit has batted in more matches as a non-opener. He batted in 39 matches as an opener but on the other hand, he batted in 42 innings as a non-opener.
- Runs – despite playing more innings as a non-opener Indian captain made fewer runs as a non-opener. He made 1478 as a non-opener and 1955 as an opener in tests.
- Average – there is a huge difference in average as Rohit averages 52.83 as an opener but he averages only 42.22 as a non-opener which is interesting because being an opener is never an easy job in tests because you must face new shiny red balls.
- Highest score – Rohit has the highest score of 177 in tests as a non-opener but his highest score is 212 as an opener.
- Centuries – Rohit always enjoys batting as an opener. In tests also he has 7 centuries as an opener and 3 as a non-opener.
- Half centuries – it is the opposite of centuries as Rohit made 9 half centuries as a non-opener and 4 as an opener.