India has always produced great openers. Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sehwag, and Rohit Sharma are all examples of it. Indian openers also make great pairs. We have always seen them playing with great chemistry.
In this article, we will see draw a comparison between two of India’s most successful opening pairs in ODI cricket. In this article, we will see a stats comparison between Sachin Tendulkar/Sourav Ganguly and Rohit Sharma/Shikhar Dhawan.
- Partnership Runs – Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly have made 6609 ODI partnership runs whereas Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan have made 5108 ODI partnership runs so far.
- Innings – Sachin and Ganguly have played in 136 ODI innings while Dhawan and Rohit have played in 112 ODI innings.
- Average – average of Sachin and Ganguly together is more than that of Rohit and Dhawan. Sachin and Ganguly have an average of 49.32 in ODIs and Rohit/Dhawan has an average of 46.43 in One Day Internationals.
- Highest partnership – the highest partnership between Sachin and Ganguly was of 258 runs while the highest partnership between Rohit and Dhawan is of 210 runs.
- Half centuries partnerships – Sachin and Ganguly has 23 half-century partnerships between them in ODIs. Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan have 15 half-century partnerships between them in ODIs.
- Century partnerships – Sachin and Ganguly are not only ahead of Rohit and Dhawan but they hold the record for most century partnerships in ODI cricket. Sachin and Ganguly have 21-century opening partnerships in ODIs while Rohit and Dhawan have 18-century opening partnerships between them. Dhawan and Rohit are still playing and they can break the record of Sachin and Ganguly.