These are some of the greatest English players ever played in La Liga
La Liga had some great English players on its clubs’ stadiums. Let’s see who was the greatest English player ever played in La Liga history.
Best English players in La Liga
- David Beckham: Beckham was a key part of the ‘Galáctico’. He won the club’s player of the year award in 2006. His contribution proved vital to Madrid’s title-winning campaign in 2007.
- Steve McManaman: Steve arrived in Real Madrid on a free transfer. His haul of two La Liga titles and two Champions League winners’ medals is an impressive return from his four years in Spain.
- Vinny Samways: Samways was in a bit of a rut when he left Everton for Las Palmas in 1996. However, he settled well and became a popular figure in Tottenham.
- Michael Owen: Owen followed his England team-mate David Beckham to Real Madrid in 2004. He managed a respectable 13 league goals in his solitary season at the club.
- Jonathan Woodgate: Woodgate was an undeniably talented player. He had the potential to be one of the best defenders of his generation.
- Stan Collymore: Collymore’s career had taken a sharp downturn amid periods of off-pitch controversy and struggles with mental health. He played just three times for Oviedo, and failed to trouble the scorers.
- Jermaine Pennant: Pennant carved a fresh start after being released by Liverpool in 2006. His defining moment in Zaragoza was leaving his Porsche parked at the railway station for five months after forgetting he owned it.
- Patrick Roberts: Roberts spent his last season at City Football Group-owned Girona, with the hope that competitive top-flight football would help with his development.
- Mark Draper: Draper played four times in an unremarkable loan spell for Rayo, scoring once, before returning whence he came.
- Charlie I’Anson: Charlie was born in Luton but raised in Málaga after his parents moved there when he was a child. The defender made two appearances for the Alicante-based side after their promotion to La Liga in 2013.