These are some of the greatest Italian players of all time
Italy is one of the toughest national side to compete with. Along with some serious talent, he really has the ability to win every match.
Top 10 greatest Italian players of all time:
- Paolo Maldini – Maldini is widely considered as the greatest defender ever. He has made more appearances in Serie A, the Champions League and for Milan than any other player in history. Maldini featured in four World Cups, as well as three European Championships.
- Giuseppe Meazza – Meazza was the key member of Italy’s 1934 and 1938 World Cup winning teams. His tally of 33 international goals is the second highest in Italian football history.
- Roberto Baggio – Baggio scored over 300 career goals at club level, the first Italian to do so in over 50 years. He is also the only Italian to have scored at three World Cups.
- Gianluigi Buffon – Buffon has made over 900 Career club appearances, winning the Serie A 9 times. He holds the record for longest streak without conceding in Serie A history, where he went over 12 matches without conceding.
- Franco Baresi – With 628 appearances for Milan over a 20-year career at the club, Baresi has had even more success domestically than he has internationally.
- Andrea Pirlo – Pirlo was once described as a “genius” by Johan Cryuff due to his superb vision, creativity and intelligence. He is also known as a free-kick specialist, scoring the joint highest in Serie A history with 28.
- Fabio Cannavaro – His outstanding performances for Italy earned him a move to Real Madrid where he won 2 league titles in three seasons. Cannavaro relied greatly on his ability to out jump his opponents and his defensive timing, at which he was second to none.
- Alessandro Del Piero – With over 700 appearances for Juventus, he tops the club’s appearance list. He is also the club’s all-time leading goalscorer with 260 goals.
- Gianni Rivera – Regarded as one of the best passers of his generation, he won the 1969 Ballon d’Or. At Milan he won multiple honours including 3 European Cups and 3 league titles.
- Francesco Totti – Totti is the second highest scorer in the Italian league with 250 goals. Heis also the 6th highest scoring Italian in all competitions with 316 goals.
Also Read: Top 10 greatest defenders of all time
Also Read: Top 10 Highest Goal-scoring Defenders In Football History