The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup (earlier known as ICC World Twenty20) is the international championship of T20 international cricket Organised by cricket’s governing body, international Cricket Council the (ICC).
The tournament currently consists of 16 teams, comprising the top ten teams from the rankings at the given deadline and six other teams chosen through T20 world cup qualifiers. All matches are played in the format of T20 internationals.
- In 2002 when Benson and Hedges Cup ended ECB (England Cricket Board) were looking for a format which can stand to the expectations of today’s generation. A format of cricket which could provide them sponsorships and can run in a fast pace.
- Stuart Robertson, the marketing manager of the ECB, proposed a 20 over per innings game to county chairmen in 2001 and they voted 11–7 in favour of adopting the new format.
- This moment was marked as the birth of T20 cricket where 20 overs per inning was decided.
- First International T20 match was played on 17 February 2005 at Eden Park in Auckland.
- Match was played between Australia and New Zealand where Australia defeated New Zealand. The game was played in a light hearted manner.
Also Read: Watch ICC T20 World Cup 2021 live streaming and TV channels
First ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup
- First ICC world T20 was held at south Africa where 12 teams participated and final was played between India and Pakistan.
- India under the captaincy of MS Dhoni won it with fine margins and became the first world T20 winners.
- That tournament changed the cricket. As this format became popular among people.
- People started liking this type of aggressive cricket where overs were limited and match ends in short duration of time.
- Second world T20 was played in year 2009 at England. Where Pakistan won the final defeating Sri Lanka.
- Third world T20 was played in year 2010 at West Indies. Where England won the final defeating Australia.
- Fourth world T20 was played in year 2012 at Sri Lanka. Where West Indies won the final defeating Sri Lanka.
- Fifth world T20 was played in year 2014 at Bangladesh. Where Sri Lanka won the final defeating India.
- Sixth world T20 was played in year 2016 at India. Where West Indies won the final defeating England.
- Seventh T20 World Cup was played in 2021 at UAE & Oman. Where Australia won the final defeating New Zealand.
Also Read: ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 Schedule, Teams, Squads, Time Table & Venue
ICC MEN’S T20 WORLD CUP HOST & WINNER’S & CAPTAIN LIST
|1. India||Pakistan||2007/South Africa||MS Dhoni|
|2. Pakistan||Sri Lanka||2009/England||Younis Khan|
|3. England||Australia||2010/ West Indies||Paul Collingwood|
|4. West Indies||Sri Lanka||2012/Sri Lanka||Daren Sammy|
|5. Sri Lanka||India||2014/Bangladesh||Lasith Malinga|
|6. West Indies||England||2016/India||Daren Sammy|
|7. Australia||New Zealand||2021/UAE & Oman||Aaron Finch|
Expansion to 16 Teams
The 2012 edition was to be expanded into a 16-team format however this was reverted to 12. The 2014 tournament, held in Bangladesh was the first to feature 16 teams including all ten full member and six associate members who qualified through the 2013 ICC world T20 qualifiers.