Sports Desk- This week has been enough for Lionel Messi. Barcelona superstar Messi recently scored the 700th goal of his career. Lionel Messi became the 7th player in the world to achieve this feat. Messi achieved this by playing 112 matches less than Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi did it in 862 while Ronaldo did it in 974 matches.
The Argentine scored one of Barcelona’s goals against Atletico Madrid in their 2-2 draw in Tuesday’s Spanish League clash at the Camp Nou. Though the result didn’t go the way of the Catalans, it was however a memorable evening for the 33-year-old who had a hand in both goals for the home team.
Six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi became the seventh member of a select club of players to score 700 or more goals. The name at the top of this list is Josef Bican. He has scored a total of 805 goals in his career.
700 Goal Club players
- Josef Bican (805 goals in 530 games – 1931-1956)
- Romario (772 goals in 994 games – 1985-2007 )
- Pele (767 goals in 831 games – 1957-1977)
- Ferenc Puskas (746 goals in 754 games – 1943-1966)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (744 goals in 1041 games – 2001-present)
- Gerd Muller (735 goals in 793 games – 1962-1981)
- Lionel Messi (700 goals in 862 games – 2003-present)
Currently top five players
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Juventus): 728 goals (1,005 games)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona): 700 (862)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, AC Milan): 540 (907)
- Luis Suarez (Uruguay, Barcelona): 472 (637)
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland, Bayern Munich): 466 (697)