Here are some facts you need to know about Riyad Mahrez
Riyad Mahrez (Full Name –Riyad Karim Mahrez) is an Algerian footballer born on 21 February, 1991. His father, Ahmed Mahrez, was a former Footballer and his mother’s name is Halima Mahrez. He has one brother, Walid Mahrez, and two sisters, Innes Mahrez and Dounya Mahrez. He is the proud father of Inaya Mahrez.
- Riyad grew up in one of the very rough suburbs very close to Paris.
- He began to develop a passion for the sport and got full support from his father.
- His father accompanied him to training and almost every game.
- In 2006, his father died when he was 15.
- He felt demotivated after that incident.
- Mahrez moved to a 7th tier French club ‘Quimper’.
- Due to his hard work, he got several offers from big clubs like Paris Saint-Germain and Marseille.
- He chose to sign for the second division French club ‘Le Havre’.
- Riyad criticized the Ligue 2, saying that most teams were happy to end matches with a goal-less draw.
- In 2014, he moved to Leicester City when the club used to play in second division.
- Leicester went on to win the championship title and got promoted to the Premier League.
- In October 2014, he scored his first Premier League goal against Burnley.
- He signed a four year contract with Leicester in 2014.
- Mahrez helped Leicester to win their first-ever Premier League trophy. He also got selected in the PL’s Team of the Year.
- In July 2018, Manchester City signed Mahrez for £60 million. He became Man City’s most expensive player.
- In 2019, Mahrez was selected as Algeria’s national team captain.
- 1X AFRICAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR
- 1X PREMIER LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- 2X ALGERIAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR
- 1X AFRICA CUP
- 2X PREMIER LEAGUE
- 1X ENGLISH FA CUP
- 3X ENGLISH LEAGUE CUP
- 2X ENGLISH SUPER CUP
- In 2015, Mahrez got married to his girlfriend Rita Johal.
- The couple have 2 daughters with the younger born in 2019 and the elder in 2015.
- Riyad is a devout Muslim.
Also Read: The untold story of Kevin de Bruyne