India is playing a 3 match test series in South Africa. It is for the 8th time when India is visiting South Africa. India has never won a Test series in South Africa. Last time in 2018 Virat Kohli led team India to South Africa but could not able to win the series. So here we are presenting 8 unwanted records of India in South Africa in Test cricket.
- India conceded the highest total in a test match on South African soil. The 620 runs scored by Proteas in the first innings of the 2010 Centurion test is the highest total between these two sides in test cricket. South Africa score 620 runs and gave only 4 wickets in that innings.
- In the 2010 centurion test when South Africa scored 620-4(d). there were five batsmen for South Africa who scored 50 plus runs. Both the openers Graeme Smith and Alviro Petersen scored 62 and 77 runs each. Then came a double century from Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis. AB De Villiers too smashed a century while batting at No.5.
- In 1996 tour of South Africa, in the first test at Durban. India scored the lowest total between these two teams in a test match and that was 66.
- India faced the worst defeats in terms of wickets and runs in South Africa in a test match between these two nations. The 328 runs defeat at Durban is the worst in terms of runs and 10 wickets defeat in 2013 was the worst defeat of India in terms of wickets in South Africa.
- India also has a unique record of most number of Ducks in south Africa. Former Indian left-arm pacer Zaheer Khan was dismissed 5 times for a duck in South Africa. Followed by Ishant Sharma for 4 ducks and then Sreesanth for 3 ducks.
- Our last unwanted record was conceded by former Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh for conceding the highest number of runs in an innings in South Africa in a Test match. Bhajji gave 169 runs in his 36 overs spell in Centurion in 2010.