James Rodriguez ruled out of the Copa America squad
The Colombian has played only 26 games in all competitions for Everton this season. He has suffered a calf injury and will surely miss the upcoming Copa America in June.
James will miss the Copa America and two FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Argentina. He didn’t pass his medical exams a few days ago.
He didn’t play much games for Everton this season due to his injury. Carlo Ancelotti said that James was disappointed for not being able to play with the team in their last Premier League match against Manchester City.
According to Colombia’s coaching staff:
- James Rodriguez has been recalled for the games against Peru and Argentina for the qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, and the CONMEBOL Copa America 2021.
- The midfielder underwent medical examinations, which determined that he is not at the optimal level of competition.
- He will not be able to join the group of players called up by Reinaldo Rueda for the aforementioned matches and the South American championship.
- They regret not being able to count on James Rodríguez this time.
- They hope that the midfielder will soon be able to be part of a call-up, representing our country with the height and professionalism as he has always done.
The 29-year-old has 76 caps for his national team. He last featured for them in 2022 World Cup qualifiers against Uruguay and Ecuador in November last year.